Monday, August 15, 2016

Dragon's Lair-a mixed media canvas by Lynne

I've gone over to the dark side....well at least with this project! I love the Dragons Shape Set and have been waiting for the chance to use one of these awesome fairy doors. I decided to combine them for a little medieval magic.
I created a background with texture paste, stenciled bricks, and some stringy fabric. Then I added a variety of metal embellishments, flowers, and puzzle pieces as well as some torn corrugate.
After all those things were glued down I painted the entire canvas and the chipboard pieces with black gesso. I added colour with a variety of Luminarte Radiant Rain colour concentrate daubers and Silks paints.The dragon and inner door piece were both run through an embossing folder first and  I love the effects that the paints created on the embossed area. I used several colours on the dragon to get the look of iridescent scales and  think it turned out pretty dragon-y (is that a word? well, it is now!!

The door door trim has an overlay so I added a combination of colours to the base piece and just used the solid nutmeg dauber on the stone overlay to create contrast.

I added vibrant colours here and there to make the embellishments and the different colours stand out from the black background-they look really shimmery in person.



I love the rough texture of the bricks! I used homemade texture paste made with baking soda. Because of their rough texture, a fair amount of the black still shows through the Ginger Peach Silk paint for an ancient and worn look.

Thanks so much for stopping by and may all your dragons be friendly!

GYPSY SOUL ITEMS USED
Dragons Shape Set
Fairy Door-Amy Love

OTHER ITEMS USED
Colourarte Silks-Ginger Peach,. Iridescent Green, Kiwi
Radiant Rain-Nutmeg, Wine and Roses
Crafter's Workshop Stencil-bricks
Prima Finnabair Mechanicals

1 comment:

  1. Amazing work Lynne! Thinking I may need the dragon shape set!

    ReplyDelete