Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Something Wicked by Susan

Hello crafty friends!  Today I want to share a steampunk-y shadow box made from Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts' ATC Shrine Box.


The first thing to do is wipe down the edges with a damp cloth to remove laser residue (if any).  Lay the pieces out and put a dab of glue on the edges that fit together.  I did one panel at a time and held in place for a few seconds to give the glue a chance to catch.  Let this dry completely before measuring for paper inserts.


I used a corner of the 12x12 Texture Sheet Gears for the inside back, embossing it with a red/black/brown powder mixture I made a few projects ago.


I wanted a dash of color so I cut off a piece of the Banner Border Strips, traced each pennant on a different scrap of paper, then painted the pennant with black gesso.  While that dried I cut the triangles and inked the edges.  They are all slightly larger than the actual chipboard piece and overlap nicely to cover the space between each triangle.

I use the Zig glue writers a lot, and this one came in handy to draw a line on the pennant edges and allow me to easily apply the papers.


Next I picked out a few gears and backgrounds from the Steampunk Shape Set and painted them with  metallic paints I have on hand.


Once everything was dry I assembled in a whirlwind and didn't stop to take photos.  *sigh*  In the next two photos you can see the hint of the texture gear sheet in the back.  I chose a plain paper (black with white dots) so attention wasn't diverted from the embossed texture gears.

The pennants are raised up on a layer or two of scrap chipboard for added dimension.  You can also see the metallic gears layered in the right front corner, on which a black cat is perched.


I used more plain paper for the inside walls and ended up using strips of straight black Dresden foil  to finish the inside corners.  Once the outside was covered I used a more ornate Dresden foil to finish the front frame.


Here's a look at the back!


Thanks for visiting today!

Cheers ~ Susan

Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Used

ATC Shrine Box BD12X
Texture Sheet Gears HR1
Steampunk Shape Set D33A
Banner Border Strips D34D

Other Supplies Used:
Graphic 45 Steampunk Spells
assorted acrylic paint
custom embossing powder
white glue
Zig writer glue
Brown ink for edges
Dresden foil
wood feet
assorted ribbon

2 comments:

  1. Susan I just love the layers in this project. So many layers, yet it all looks so crisp too!

    ReplyDelete