Friday, April 6, 2018

Winged Believers - Folk Art Inspired Paper Dolls

Hello!! Jennalee here today with a folk art inspired project. I've wanted to try my hand at painting some folk art inspired dolls for a while and the Decorative Tags X Large set was the perfect substrate. I kept the tags on the simpler side to allow the dolls to shine. Let's jump right in.





To begin cover your tags with a thin layer of gesso using a palette knife to apply. Allow the first layer to air dry and continue building until your tag is covered and you have your desired amount of texture.


Using Distress Crayons and a wet wipe color background. Allow some areas of gesso to show thru. 


Trace around paper dolls with a marker to blend white edges. Cut dolls at waist and set aside the feet. 


Lay doll image on tag to determine where the skirt will be placed. Using a pencil sketch out a rough skirt shape and paint in shape with gesso. 


Set dolls aside and color in skirt with Distress Crayons. Messy stitch around the skirt. 

On two of the tags I used Tim Holtz's Rosette layering stencil and a wet wipe to remove some of the Distress Crayon thru the stencil. 


I kept the backgrounds simple to allow the texture to shine thru. To add some interest I layered a few pieces of coordinating tissue tape. 



I used various wings from Tim Holtz's Flutter Set colored with coordinating Distress Inks and added to each girl. To finish off tags adhere feet to bottom edge of the tag. I typed out inspiring messages and adhered to each tag. To top each one off I attached an inked hole reinforcer. 


I love the size of the Decorative Tags X Large. I also love that thickness allows for the addition of messy stitching yet holds up to multiple layers of wet media. 

Thanks for stopping by and spending a few minutes with me today. I hope these folk art girls inspire you to spread your wings and try something just a little different. Happy Creating ~ Jennalee 

No comments:

Post a Comment